Friday, June 20, 2008

Summer League

Yesterday was a crazy-busy day. I mowed my parents' yard, my yard, cleaned the house for company who came over for dinner and played in my first soccer game since my Sophomore year of college.

I feel I've become a bit old. I have my favorite news anchor crew, 10:00 news station, and I enjoy mowing the yard. I'm also getting tired earlier and earlier.

The guests who came for dinner were a ton of fun and it was really nice getting to know them. We met through our church and found that we have a lot in common. Our kids all played outside on the trampoline and an inflatable that my parents bought our girls last year.

Then, I left to play soccer. I've been running again lately so I thought I might be in okay shape...I was WRONG!

This league is a 7-man league. There always has to be at least 3 girls on the field during the whole game. We subbed the dudes every 3 minutes. First off, 3 minutes felt like an eternity when I was on the field and way too short when I was off. At times, my feet felt like I was stuck in cement.

All that said, I had a TON of fun. It was just great getting out there again and kicking the ball around. I never realized what kind of shape I used to be in though. I also was a bit surprised at how easy it was for me to talk some trash to some of the players on the other team.

As soon as one of them said something to me, I snapped back without even thinking about it. It's crazy...I know I have NO room to talk out there. I could barely move after making one run, let alone muster up the composure to spit out one sentence without heavy panting between each word.

I was rather pathetic trying to prove my point to some dude. Trash talking is usually probably done better when you can actually say everything without gettind dizzy in the process. :)

Anyway, I think I'm going to play every Tuesday and Thursday through the summer so maybe I'll get back in a little better shape before it's all done.

Soccer sure is fun! But the day after is painful...

No comments: