Monday, June 30, 2008

Oh Snap...and by that I mean Snapping Turtles

This past weekend I was with a youth group from Boerne, TX. We were camping at Inks Lake State Park and took some time to swim in the lake. It was beautiful, but the water was a little murky...I couldn't see my legs once I was in the water.

Anyway, After swimming around for a while, I got on float (ok, it was a pink float) and started to slowly head for the shore. When I was about 10 feet from the shore, I saw something pop out of the water about a foot away from me with the corner of my eye. By the time I looked over, it was already underwater and those on shore said they thought it must have been a turtle, although no one really saw it clearly for sure.

Moments later, something knocked me off of my float and into the water! I didn't know I could swim as fast as I did.

I wasn't really all that interested in getting back in the water after that, but I did. Thankfully that was my only encounter with the living creatures in the lake. Of course, the students will probably never let me live this one down.

Overall, it was a great retreat and a great weekend. I'm sure glad to be home now though.

1 comment:

kacole said...

Ewww, I hate murky water. I would not have gotten back in! Ewwww.