Saturday, September 22, 2007

Following ALL the Rules

Newsweek has this article posted on it's website this morning. It's about an author who set out a year ago to follow every rule in the Bible. He's written a book about his experiences and shares with Newsweek what it was like for him and his family as he tried to take the rules as he understood them as literally as possible (even attempting to stone an adulterer).

It's a interesting article with several discussion points. The first thing I found intriguing was in his first answer to the interviewer. A.J. Jacobs (the author) responded to the question about returning to a "life of sin" by saying:

"I miss my sin-free life, but I guess I was never sin free. I was able to cut down on my coveting maybe 40 percent, but I was still a coveter. Flat-screen TVs, the front yard of my friend in the suburbs, a better cell phone, higher Amazon rankings. And that's not to mention coveting my neighbor's wife. I live in New York, I work in publishing, so there’s a lot of coveting, lying and gossiping."

What do you think of his venture?

1 comment:

Brett, Julz, and Emma said...

WOW! I read the article....not sure what to think about that! Definitely interesting!! It makes me sad that people look at the Bible or Christianity as a set of rules. It also makes me sad to think that this guy who did the experiment is probably highly admired and respected by many people, and that so many in our nation read (and probably agreed with) that article. Hopefully, God will use the article and A.J. Jacobs to draw people to Himself somehow. Glad to have read the article...Thanks for sharing! Tell Dani hi! --Julie