Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Rejection

Yesterday, the whole family went to pick our oldest up from school. It was fun having us all there when she walked out of her class. Then, we loaded back into the car to head home. The ride home was not quite so fun. Our oldest (A) and middle (S) weren't getting along and there was a bunch of whining and complaining taking place in the back seat.

When we got home, I told them it was enough and that it isn't a value in our family to treat people the way they are treating people. I realized by the look on A's that she wasn't having a good day. She and I walked in the house together while everyone was still unloading. Then...

A had barely walked in the door when she threw her body on the ground and started weeping in a little ball. I sat down and asked her to tell me what was wrong. She came to sit in my lap and proceeded to say:

"I'm sad. I've had a bad day. Nobody at school was nice to me. No one wanted to play with me."

She told me no one wanted to sit by her or play with her with they went outside to the playground. She also said that one of the other girls in her class would come to her and yell, "I'm mad at you!"

For A, this is devastating. Later, when she was talking with Dani, she said that she was trying everything to make this other girl happy but she just kept saying she was mad at her.

This was all just heart-wrenching for me. We sat on the ground and cried together for a couple minutes and then tried to move on. However, the rest of her day was affected by all of this.

It's hard watching one of your kids go through difficult things.

4 comments:

Socoteanu said...

Hey Man, Yeah, we have had some similar times with our oldest. It is hard seeing our children go through this kind of thing. I just want to "save her". But, I know it is not possible. That was the saddest thing for me when my little girl started school. She was out of the protection of our home and was out there in the world with all it's sin, meanness, and ugliness. I know that they will know it all too well in their lives, but how much simpler life is before they become familiar with the consequences of human brokenness. It makes what you are teaching at home all the more important.

LIFe - Matt said...

True dat.

JMBMOMMY said...

This makes me cry. I have cried over J's pain many times this year. It came to a shock for me .. I wasn't ready for the rejection. At times, I think she handles being rejected much more than I handle seeing her rejected. All in all, Christ is enough. Sorry your sweet family had a bad day. Tell A we love her so much.

slothsrcool said...

hey, been missing your posts. I'm really sorry you all had a bad day. It stinks so much when our children are suffering.

I hope things are better for her at school today.