Sunday, March 30, 2008

O-B-E-D-I-E-N-C-E

My oldest is in a "Christian Preschool" in our community and has really enjoyed it, I think more so than any other educational facility she's been a part of thus far in her short life time.

One of the things that this school emphasizes is their Bible story time and music. This is the first time that our oldest has come home and told us about what she learned and what the Bible story was about that day.

I'm thankful for this place and thankful that my daughter enjoys it. I have one hang up though, and I'm probably the only dad that has this issue.

One of the songs they are learning (and the ONE that has really caught my daughter's attention because she sings it all the time) goes like this:

O-B-E-D-I-E-N-C-E
Obedience is the very best way
To show that you believe

My middle girl has joined in on the musical fun and her version goes a little like this:

O-B-E-D-I-E-N-C-Eat...

I enjoy hearing their excitement and love listening to them sing, but I am not all that thrilled with the lyrics here. I know, most parents are usually concerned b/c their kids are listening to rap or something with lyrics they don't even understand (and that may happen in our house as well). But, for now our issue is with this song.

I would love for my girls to live a life of complete abandon to the things of this world and complete surrender and dependence on Christ in every moment. I would love for their lives to be obedient to the Father because I know they were created to operate out of their relationship with Him. However, this song just throws all focus onto the obedience.

I really don't think that was ever the point of Jesus' teaching. I think obedience is a natural by-product of what He was really about, which was and is about us being restored into an intimate relationship with the Father through Jesus, who lives in us at and after salvation.

Well, I'm glad I got that off my chest now. I've been thinking about it for a few weeks. Now I can move on. :)

6 comments:

kacole said...

First of all, that is one stinkin' long word to spell out in a song!

Secondly, we were recently talking about this in Bible study and how we have found that because we are so fixated on obedience we find that we are just going through the motions of "religion" and not really experiencing the heart of God. I guess it starts young.

slothsrcool said...

How did you/do you feel about "Trust and Obey"?

I get what you're saying and basically agree, but... Ya know, I really love my son and he loves me and we have a good relationship, but I still want and need him to obey me for his own good.

LIFe - Matt said...

sloth,

I'm down with "Trust and Obey" as long as there is always more emphasis on trust rather than obey.

I think another dynamic to this is that when we really trust, obedience is the by-product of that relationship.

Of course, I want my girls to obey because I'm not just making a bunch of rules for them to jump through because I like being in charge. The rules they have are to keep them safe and are for their own good.

My desire is that they will live according to the rules, not out of duty but out an overflow of our relationship. I see a glimpse of this at times and it is a thrill.

kacole,

I think you're on to something here. "Religion" is the great passion killer and can only teach rules because it ultimately comes back to people trying to live for Christ (of course, this is just in reference to the "Christian" religion in America right now) instead of trusting, depending, and allowing Christ to live through them.

slothsrcool said...

Hmmmm. I know Jesus said that if we love him we will obey him. It seems that you want to make that a cause and effect relationship. And it may well be. I honestly don't know enough about hermeneutics or theology to say if it is or not. But, at this point in my little head I see them rather as two sides of one coin, rather than cause and effect.

Here's why. Jesus also said that the greatest commandment is to love God with all your heart. So to not love God is, actually, disobedience. Therefore, it is impossible to have one without the other.

If one of my boys is about to chase a ball out into the street and I see a car coming that he does not, then I'm going to yell for him to stop. At that point, I want him to obey me and I really don't care if it is born out of a relationship or not. He needs to obey, period. So, if we can use songs to teach our kids to obey God, to love God, to worship God, etc., then I am all for all of the above.

Dani Smith said...

it's hard to be theologically sound in grace with four year old children. they are too young to understand the idea that they cannot "obey the law" on their own, and are living all of their little lives in their own strength. the obey song as well as all of our parenting rules will serve one great purpose...someday they will realize they cannot do it and we pray that they turn to dependence on God at that point. for now, our rules keep them safe, keep family peace and prepare them to receive the grace of God. i guess i hope to always have an undercurrent of grace as i enforce obedience in our family. we discipline because we love...not because we want to impress anyone with our children or their behavior!

slothsrcool said...

wow littled, you nailed it. It must be a mom thing.